Sometimes at night- I dream about my furniture and deco that’s in storage.
We packed our 1800 sq ft home into two pods and they’re sitting at some undisclosed location with all my precious belongings contained behind two padlocks. Pray for my stuff people.
Anywho- one of the main comments I got about my home while selling was my shelving system. And if you know me- I was determined to do it without the multiple zero price tag. So step away from the “kits” and point your car towards your local hardware store. So off to lowes we went.
Little did I know that even lowes would punch me in the gut on this one. The cedar boards were more than I wanted to spend and the iron plumbing pipes were giving me starry eyes. So as any self respecting budgeting human knows, when a store fails you- call on the internet.
You will need to do your best google sleuthing and find your flange, Pipe *threaded on both ends*, and cap. Flanges are the most expensive averaging about 4$ each. The pipes should be around 8$ each. And the caps are rather low- about 2$ a pop. There’s not a magic diamater for the Pipe. Just make sure your fittings match the diameter of your pipe. 👍
For the wood-your local hardware supply is best – but step away from that pretty cedar and get your standard white pine in a wide plank. Please ensure your selected pipe length will accommodate the board width. Remember that the cap and flange will take up an inch on both ends of the pipe- hence the 12″ pipes.
And then mosey on over to pick out a stain color then grab some wall anchor screws and pipe straps before hitting the checkout.
Once you’re home and have received all your parts you can begin your assembly.
- Cut boards to length- sand ends
- Screw Pipe bar supports together. Flange+Pipe+cap=happiness.
- Use Laser level to mark Pipe positioning- measure twice/drill once
- Use WALL ANCHORS in your wall so that your shelves won’t come tumbling down. And yes- put screws in all four flange holes.
- Place UNSTAINED boards into position to ensure level and fit.
- If it all fits, pull your boards off and stain- dry overnight
- Replace boards and secure with Pipe straps.
Last step as always is to enjoy your thrifty awesomeness and rake in those compliments. 😊 cause lets be honest… we rock.